Pergola and the gilt Bronzes
Pergola is a small town located 27 km from Genga with
an important artistic heritage.
Evidence of its glorious ancient past came with the
rediscovery in 1946 of the Gilt Bronzes of Cartoceto di Pergola, which date
back to the Julio-Claudian era (23–29 BC) or even the Age of Caesar (30–50 BC).
The Bronzes are one of the very few large groups of equestrian gilt sculptures
to have come down to us from the Roman period. After a long and complex process
of recomposition and restoration at the European Centre for Restoration in
Florence, using advanced techniques and materials, they are now housed at the
Museo dei Bronzi Dorati set up in the former convent of San Giacomo.
Pergola is also known for being the city of a hundred churches, with a wealth of fine works of art, bearing witness to the important economic, political and religious role played by the town over the centuries. One of the oldest of these is the Gothic church of San Giacomo (13th century), renovated along with the former Augustinian convent, now home to the museum.
The town’s food and wine heritage includes such
quality wines as Vernaccia Rossa – also called Vernaculum di Pergola – Sangiovese
dei Colli Pesaresi DOC, Moscatello, Vinsanto and Visner (sour cherry wine).